About the Department
The Department of Zoology, Bethune College has been considered as one of the highly rated departments of the College. The teaching of the subject at the Intermediate level began in this college in 1952, Under Graduate (Pass) in1964, Under Graduate (Honours) in 1973 and Post Graduate in 2005. All the aforesaid courses are under the affiliation of the University of Calcutta.From the academic session 2018-19, the Department of Zoology has introduced the Semester system of evaluation at the under graduate level (CBCS system).From the academic session 2018-19, the Department of Zoology has shifted to the Semester system of evaluation at the post graduate level (CBCS system), affiliated to the University of Calcutta.The academic excellence of the Department is evident from the outstanding performance of both the Undergraduate and Post-Graduate students in the University- and competitive-examinations.
Library: Departmental library has about 100
books; Book bank has about 300 books addressing
different aspects of Zoology.
Special equipment/Teaching Aid: Two class rooms with ICT are available along other classrooms.
Museum: A collection of about 300 zoological specimens are well preserved for studying of students.
General Laboratories (2) for UG teaching
For PG teaching, the department has
- Well equipped Air conditioned Parasitology & Immunology Laboratory.
- Well equipped Air conditioned Cytogenetics Laboratory.
- Well equipped Air conditioned Entomology Laboratory.
- Well equipped Air conditioned Ecology Laboratory.
- An Animal House is also provided by the college to facilitate research.
- Cold Centrifuge with two rotors
- ELISA reader
- Thermo cycler [PCR machine]
- Gel apparatus [DNA & Protein]
- B.O.D incubators
- Laminar flow
- Trinocular microscope with photographic attachment
- Binocular microscopes
- Hot air ovens
- Bacteriological Incubators
- Trans blot apparatus for Western blotting
- Power packs
- Micro pipettes of different calibrations
- Millipore Distillation plant
- -20 and -80 degree freezer
- CO2 Incubator
- UV Spectrophotometer
- Magnus Stereoscopic Binocular