About the Department
The history of the Department of Philosophy,
initially known as 'Mental and Moral Philosophy',
spans throughout the last 111 years and it is a
matter of great pride to highlight the continuity of
the educational vis-ā-vis teaching standard and the
academic performance of the department. The
Department was established in 1908 when Philosophy
as a subject was introduced in the intermediate
classes. Two years later in 1910 it was taught as a
General subject in B.A. Pass Course. Philosophy as
an Honours subject began its journey in 1923.
Our Department has surely contributed a lot in the field of women's education and emancipation in India as well as in Bangladesh. This department may surely boast of its illustrious alumna. To mention a few: Smt Tatini Das (Gupta) : Stood First both in I.A. Examination in 1914 and B.A. Honours Examination in 1916. She became the Principal of this college during 1934-1950. Prof. Akhtar Imam, graduating in1937 became Professor & Head of the Department of Philosophy, Dacca University. Dr. Hamida Khanam: Passed B.A. Examination with Distinction from Bethune College. In 1952 she went to Columbia University as Full-Bright fellow. She became the Principal of Home Economics College, Dacca. Pakistan Govt. awarded her Gold Medal for her contribution in education in 1969. Sm. Nalini Das, a student of our department, joined as a Member of Faculty & later became the Principal of Bethune College (1968-1974). Prof. Pushpa Misra graduating in1961was also a Member of Faculty & became Principal Bethune College (1997-2002). She is a practicing Psychoanalyst. She is also member of IQAC, Bethune College.
The teachers guide their students towards developing their talent in various fields by involving them in debates, seminars and discussions in class . Students are encouraged to maintain Departmental Wall-Magazine and participate in extension activities like NSS , drill and march past, recitation, singing, dancing etc. and similar other activities.
The students as well as teachers lend books from the Central Library which has a collection of approximate 6000 books. Moreover they have access to Departmental Library and Book Bank. The former has a stock of around 400 books and a few journals whereas the latter has 268 books and 52 journals.