About the Department
The Bengali Department of this college started its journey from 1879
(intermediate). Intellectuals from other disciplines devoted their time
for teaching Bengali, because the college had no separate teacher for
Bengali in its early stage. Pandit Madan Mohan Tarkalankar, Kabi Kamini
Roy and many other reputed teachers took regular classes for a long time
in Bengali Department for the necessary momentum. The department
formally started functioning in 1943. Smt. Bharati Mukherjee joined as
the first lecturer in Bengali. In 1948, Prof. Lila Roy joined, followed
by Dr. Dipti Tripathi as Assistant Professor. Smt. Sunanda Dasgupta for
some time and Smt. Kamala Kanjilal served the department for many years.
The department gathered the critical mass of faculties in 1979, after
joining of many eminent academics such as Dr. Uma Roy, Karabi
Bhattacharyya, Smt. Sanghamitra Dutta, Smt. Chandra Mukherjee, Smt.
Shanta Sen, Smt. Krishna Palit and Smt. Banimanjari Das.
In keeping with the NAAC Peer Team's recommendation, a Post Graduate course was introduced in the year 2014.The Post Graduate Department was granted academic autonomy and conducting the examination and being in charge of the examination process. From the session 2018-19 the PG course has been undertaken directly by the University of Calcutta. Presently the Department has ten fulltime teachers, including 4 Associate Professors and 6 Assistant Professors. Eminent teachers and educationists from various fields regularly share their knowledge and skill with our students as guest faculty.
- The Department has a rich Seminar Library and a special Book Bank donated by Alumnae
- Department has projector for showing film to students.