About the Department
Bethune College was established in 1879. Sanskrit as a subject was introduced in the next year .From the very beginning the students interested in Sanskrit proved their worth by satisfactory results in the university examinations. Reputed poetess Smt Kamini Sen (Roy) was the first student to pass B.A. Exam. With Hons. In Sanskrit from Bethune College. The department of Sanskrit has a record of consistent and excellent academic results. Many students, since the inception of the college, have topped university merit lists and won many medals. Presently there are four teachers in the department. Three of them have been awarded PhD. Degree. The teachers have presented several research papers in National and Inter-National seminars. They have published many articles in peer reviewed journals. They are sincere and dedicated to the welfare of the students.
- Juthika Ghosh Memorial Scholarship for financially weaker students of UG course in Sanskrit.
- Special Prize for securing highest marks in 1st year Examination.
- Special Prize for securing highest marks in 1st + 2nd year Examination.
- Ramjitendra Ghosh Memorial Prize for securing highest marks in 3 year B.A. Honours programme.
- A special staff prize for the top five students securing 1st class marks in the 3 year B.A. (Honours) programme.
- Netaji Prize (for securing highest marks in B.A. examination)
- Mohitbala Prize for the student of Bethune Collegiate School with highest marks in H.S. Examination admitted Sanskrit Department of Bethune College..
- Sumita Mitra (Basu)Memorial Medal for best
performance in Dance in 2022.