|Designation: Assistant Professor
|Qualification: Ph.D (2006) entitled
“Biochemical and Molecular Analysis of Mechanism of Polyamine
Action in Rice cultivars in response to salinity stress” under
the Supervision of Prof. D.N.Sengupta, Division of Plant Biology,
Bose Institute. Kolkata. Degree awarded from Jadavpur University,
DBT-Post Doctorate Fellow (2006),
under the Supervision of Prof. K.P.Das, Dept of Chemistry, Bose Institute,
MSc in Botany (1997) Department of Botany; University of Calcutta.
Specialization in Plant Physiology Biochemistry, Molecular Biology.
- Teaching Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Microbiology,
Biotechnology, Genetic Engineering, Genomics, Proteomics and
Bioinformatics at the undergraduate and postgraduate programmes of
Botany Department of Bethune College, Kolkata.
Molecular dissection of abiotic stress
tolerance in plants.
- Gupta B, Gupta K, Mukherjee S (2012) Lipase production
by Serratia marcescens strain SN5gR isolated from the scat of
lion tailed macaque (Macaca silenus) in Silent Valley National
Park, a biodiversity hotspot in India. Annals of Microbiology
DOI:10.1007/s13213-012-0515-7 (Springer-Verlag) (Accepted: In-Press)
- Gupta K, Chatterjee C and Gupta B (2012) Isolation and
characterization of heavy metal tolerant gram positive bacteria with
bioremedial properties from municipal waste rich soil of Kestopur Canal
(Kolkata), West Bengal, India. Biologia 67(5):827-836 DOI:
- Gupta B, Gupta K and Sengupta DN (2012b) Spermidine
mediated in vitro phosphorylation of transcriptional regulator OSBZ8 by
SNF1-type serine/threonine protein kinase SAPK4 homologue in indica
rice. Acta Physiol. Plant. 34(4):1321–1336 (Joint first
- Gupta K, Gupta B and Sengupta DN (2012a) Spermidine
and abscisic acid-mediated phosphorylation of a cytoplasmic protein from
rice root in response to salinity stress. Acta Physiol. Plant.
- . Saha J, Mitra T, Gupta K, Mukherjee S (2012)
Evaluation of phytoconstituents and HPTLC studies on Saraca asoca
(roxb.)Wilde. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical
Sciences 4(2) 96-99, (IF:0.38)
- Mitra T, Saha J, Gupta K and Mukherjee S (2011)
Antioxidant activity study of the flowers of Saraca asoca (Roxb.)Wilde.
Emerging Trends in Plant Science ( ISBN- 978-93-80673-52-3)
Edition 1, 96-101
- Saha J, Sadhukhan P, Mukherjee R, Jele M, Ray RS, Gupta K,
Mukherjee S and Mukherjee S (2011). Conservation and
proliferation of butterflies. Emerging Trends in Plant Science (
ISBN- 978-93-80673-52-3) Edition 1, 123-127
- Roy P, Niyogi K, Sengupta DN and Ghosh B (2005)
Spermidine treatment to rice seedlings recovers salinity stress induced
damage of Plasma membrane and PM-bound H+-ATPase in salt-tolerant and
salt sensitive Rice cultivars. Plant Science 168:583-591. (Joint
first author) ( IF:2.945)
PROCEEDINGS IN NATIONAL/INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIA
- Saha J., Mitra T. , Gupta K. , Mukherjee S. Evaluation of
Antioxidants in the Methanolic Extracts of Flower, Bark and Leaf of
Saraca asoca(Roxb.)Wilde by DPPH and HPTLC assay. International
Conference on Ecotoxicology and Environmental Sciences , 2011.
- Gupta B and Gupta K (2010) Characterization of
microbes from sewage effluents. Proceedings of UGC-Sponsored National
Symposium on Recent Trends in Microbiological Research,
Rashtraguru Surendranath College Barrackpore: 13-14
- Basu S, Ghosh S, Gupta B and Gupta K (2009) Isolation
and biochemical chararacterization of lead and chromium tolerant
bacteria from contaminated soil and their role as potential
bioremediator. Proceedings of DST-Sponsored National Symposium on
Dimensions of Animal Science Researches and Human Need; UGC,
Presidency College (Kolkata): 48-55
PUBLICATIONS ( Invited Review Articles/Book Chapters)
- · Dey A, Gupta K, Gupta B. Role of Polyamines in Plant-Pathogen
Interactions. In: Gill SS & Anjum NA (eds), Amino Acids and Their
Derivatives: Significance for Plant Stress Adaptations, Springer-Verlag
|REGISTRATION OF GENE SEQUENCES IN GENBANK (NCBI):
- Gupta K and Gupta B (2011); 16S ribosomal RNA gene, partial
- Gupta,B., Gupta ,K. and Sengupta, D.N. (2006) Oryza sativa (indica
cultivargroup) serine kinase mRNA, complete cds; DQ408431
|POSTERS/SEMINARS PRESENTED IN NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL
- Chitrita Chatterjee, Bhaskar Gupta, Kamala Gupta “Isolation &
partial characterization of heavy metal tolerant bacterial strains” 3rd
International Conference on Ecotoxicology & Environmental Sciences (
ICEES 2011) from Nov. 28, 2011 to Nov. 30, 2011 Miramar Residency,
Panaji, Goa, India
- Kamala Gupta, Bhaskar Gupta, Sabari Sarkar, Anamika Das,
Shemushi Banerjee, Hemlata “Isolation and partial characterization of
bacterial strains showing heavy metal tolerance” National seminar on
Bioresource and Human welfare, Lady Brabourne College, Kolkata, January
20th -21st, 2011.
- Presented a paper entitled “Characterization of microbes from sewage
effluents” in UGC, WBSUB, Dept of Microbiology, Rashtraguru Surendranath
College sponsored National symposia on “Recent Trends in Microbiological
Research” September 7th-9th, 2009.
- Presented a paper entitled “Molecular Mechanism of polyamine action
during salinity stress in rice” in International Symposium on “A
Journey from Plant Physiology to Plant Biology” organized by Plant
Physiology Forum and Bose Institute, Kolkata November 24th-28th , 2008.
- Poster presentation entitled “Molecular mechanism of Polyamine
action during salinity stress in rice” in the International 10th
FAOBMB Congress, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, December
6th -11th, 2003.
- Presented Poster entitled "Understanding the role of Polyamines in
plants" in the 2nd International Congress of Plant Physiology on
Sustainable Plant Productivity under Changing Environment, IARI, New
Delhi, January 8th -12th, 2003.
- Presented Paper entitled "Mechanism of polyamine action : From
Membrane Stabilization to activation of MBP Kinase” in National
Symposia on Plant Physiology & Biochemistry in Transgenic Era and
Beyond, December 1st-3rd, 2001.
- Received Best Poster Presentation award for the paper
entitled “Molecular mechanism of polyamine action during salinity stress
in rice” 69th Annual Meeting of the Society of Biological Chemistry.
Science City, Kolkata, December 7th-9th, 2000.
- Received Best Poster Presentation award for the paper
entitled “Mechanism of polyamine action during salinity stress in rice”
National Symposia on Plant Biology, Kasaragod, CPCRI, Kerala, February
|RESEARCH GRANT AND EXTRAMURAL SUPPORT:
- Co-Investigator in a Major Research Project entitled “Conservation
& Documentation of Wild Biodiversity in Bethune College Campus &
Surroundings” funded by West Bengal Biodiversity Board
[506/3K(BIO)-4/2009 dated 09.12.2009], Govt. of West Bengal, India,
started from February 2010. Duration: Three Years. Amount: Rs.8,
00,000/-. Man power: Two Project Fellows.
- Principal Investigator of University Grants Commission
(UGC) New Delhi, funded project entitled, “Identification and
documentation of microbes from sewage effluents of different localities
in Kolkata” UGC-MRP No: F.W.PSW-042/10-11(ERO) started from
November, 2010.Duration: One and half years. Amount: Rs. 1, 47,000/-
- Co-Investigator in Multi-Institutional DBT (RGYI)
funded Major Research Project entitled “Molecular dissection of
Polyamine mediated hyperosmotic stress tolerance in cultivars of Indica
- Qualified Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE-1997),
with subjects Chemistry, Microbiology, and Biochemistry; conducted by
Indian Institute of Technology, INDIA.
- Qualified State Level Eligibility Test for Lecturer (2001),
conducted by College Service Commission, West Bengal, India.
- Qualified the prestigious National Eligibility Test for
Lecturer and Junior Research Fellowship (NET-JRF, 2001), conducted by
Council for Scientific & Industrial Research and University Grants
Commission (CSIR & UGC), New Delhi, INDIA.
- Was amongst the top 25 selected for the prestigious Shyama
Prasad Mukherjee award 2001, conducted by Council for Scientific &
Industrial Research and University Grants Commission (CSIR & UGC), New
- Invited review editor: African Journal of Biotechnology,
Journal of Medicinal Plant Research, African Journal of Microbiology.