Dr. Smita Ray
First class first in M.Sc. in Botany, Calcutta
Ph.D, Calcutta University (2015)
|Specialization||Cell Biology, Molecular Genetics and Plant Tissue Culture|
11 years of teaching experience including 03 years of postgraduate teaching.
- Taki Govt. College: 2008-2016
- Bethune College: 2016-till date
- Interested in Cytological and molecular approach for studying polymorphism of medicinal plants and Biotechnological approach to obtain secondary metabolite from medicinal plants. Completed Minor Research Project, UGC (2013-2015) entitled "Effects of Ri T-DNA on growth, phenotype and secondary metabolism in transgenic cultures of Rauvolfia serpentina" Sanction No: F. PSW-117/12-13 (ERO) SL. No. 214374 dated 01.03.13. Supervised PG dissertations at Bethune College.
- PG dissertation area: Cytogenetics and bioinformatics study of medicinal plants
- Acted as Convenor in The National Seminar on "Urban Biodiversity: Documentation and Conservation" in collaboration with West Bengal Biodiversity Board on 6th & 7th March, 2018, at Department of Botany, Bethune college.
Paper Presentation/Invited lecture
- Presented Poster entitled "Bread Wheat: cytology in the genomic era." at University of Calcutta sponsored National Seminar on "Advancement in Plant Sciences: An Insight" on 30th September 2019.
- Participated in All India Woman's Conference by East Calcutta Consistency on 'Gender integration in urban climate change initiative' on 24th September 2019.
- Awarded Certificate of Appreciation for presenting poster entitled "Undermining the potentiality of plants in HIV therapy with special emphasis on bioinformatics approach" at International Conference on Biotechnology & Biological Sciences 'Biospectrum', at University of Engineering & Management Kolkata on 8th-10th August, 2019.
- Participated in National Symposium on "Advances
in Neuroscience Research and Management" on 22nd
July, 2019 organized by Central Calcutta Society for
Advancement of Human Development and Research at
Bose Institute, Kolkata.
- Presented poster entitled ‘Genetic Diversity as a tool in Crop Improvement’ in the National Seminar on "Urban Diversity: Documentation and Conservation" on 6th & 7th March, 2018 at Bethune College, Kolkata.
- Presented poster on ‘Cytotoxic effect of artificial sweeteners on plant test system’ in AICCG and International Symposium on "Translating genes and genomes" 29-31, January, 2018 in IICB, Kolkata.
- Participated in the One-day International Workshop on "Flood Disaster & Management", Jadavpur University on 29 Dec 2017.
- Presented poster on ‘Study of genetic variability in different access in of Catharanthus roseus (L.) G. Don’ in National Seminar on "Advances in biology: Exploitation of Phytoresources" 2nd-3rd November, 2017 in Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Govt. College, New Town, Kolkata.
- Presented poster entitled 'Antiviral plants: a promising tool to drug development' in the International seminar on "Recent trends in microbiology", 14th January 2017, at Department of Microbiology, Ramkrishna Mission Vidyamandir.
- Presented poster on ‘Genetic transformation of Rauvolfia serpentina with Agrobacterium rhizogenes: Effects of Ri T-DNA on growth, phenotype and secondary metabolism in hairy root cultures’ in the International Conference on "The green planet: past, present and future", 21st-23rd Dec, 2016, Department of Botany, Bethune College.
- Presented poster on 'Antidiabetic plants: sustainable use, conservation and future prospects' in UGC sponsored National Seminar- "Medicinal plants, health and environment", 9th-10th September, 2016 in APC College, New Barrackpore.
- Participated in the UGC sponsored National Seminar on "Teaching Botany in 21st century: prospects and challenges", 6th-7th August, 2016 in Bidhannagar College.
- Training course on Basics of Flow Cytometry at Center for Research in Nanoscience and Nanobiotechnology, University of Calcutta, 2015, Kolkata
- Oral Presentation entitled " Genetic transformation of Rauwolfia serpentina………….of Ri transformed root lines" at National Symposium on Plant diversity: Structure, Function, Utilization and Conservation, Botanical Society of Bengal, 2014, Kolkata
- Attended International Symposium on Trends in
Plant Science Research, 2014, Kolkata, organized for
Centenary celebration of Department of Botany,
University of Calcutta
Article in journals
- Datta A, Ray S and Chattopadhyay D (2017) Molecular markers in sex determination of dioecious angiosperms Pg-185-193, Heritage, Vol.IV(ISSN 2349-9583)
- Ray S, Majumder A, Bandyopadhyaya and Jha S (2014) Genetic transformation of sarpagandha (Rauvolfia serpentina) with Agrobacterium rhizogenes for identification of high alkaloid yielding lines. Acta Physiol Plant.DOI 10.1007/s11738-014-1536-6
- Ray S, Samanta T, Majumder A, Bandyopadhyaya and
Jha S (2014) Cytogenetic characterization of
Agrobacterium rhizogenes transformed root lines
of Rauvolfia serpentina Nuclueus. DOI
Article in book
Majumder A, Ray S and Jha S Hairy roots and phytoremediation in A. Pavlov, T. Bley (eds.), Bioprocessing of plant in vitro systems,(2016) Reference series in phytochemistry, doi 10.1007/978-3-319-32004-5_22-1.