Dr. Seemanti Ghosh
|Qualification||M.Sc. in Botany, Calcutta
Ph.D, Calcutta University (2007)
|Specialization||Cell Biology, Molecular Genetics and Plant Tissue Culture|
13 years of teaching experience including 09 years of postgraduate teaching.
- Taki Govt. College: 2006-2010
- Bethune College: 2010-till date
- Interested in exploring indigenous medicinal
plant looking for its ex situ conservation and
genetic diversity in terms of polymorphism and
investigation of genetic diversity and evolutionary
relationships of economically important plants of
India with the aid of molecular cytogenetic tools.
Completed Major Research Project (UGC) entitled "DNA
fingerprinting of Musa accessions available in West
Bengal"; dated: 12.03.2009 – 12.03.2012. - 3 years;
amount sanctioned: Rupees 8 lakhs. Supervised PG
dissertations at Bethune College.
- PG dissertation area: Morphotaxonomy, cytotaxonomy and numerical taxonomy of plant taxons.
- Act as Organizing Secretary in The National
Seminar on "Urban Biodiversity: Documentation and
Conservation" in collaboration with West Bengal
Biodiversity Board on 6th & 7th March, 2018, at
Department of Botany, Bethune college.
Paper Presentation/Invited lecture
- Won 'Best Presentation Award' in Poster entitled "Numerical taxonomy of Canna sp." at University of Calcutta sponsored National Seminar on "Advancement in Plant Sciences: An Insight" on 30th September 2019.
- Participated in All India Woman's Conference by East Calcutta Consistency on 'Gender integration in urban climate change initiative' on 24th September 2019.
- Presented poster entitled "Diversification of Flavonol Synthase" at International Conference on Biotechnology & Biological Sciences 'Biospectrum', at University of Engineering & Management Kolkata on 8th-10th August, 2019.
- Participated in National Symposium on "Advances in Neuroscience Research and Management" on 22nd July, 2019 organised by Central Calcutta Society for Advancement of Human Development and Research at Bose Institute, Kolkata
- Presented poster(s) on ‘Mitotic chromosome study in Canna indica cultivars’ and ‘Genetic Diversity as a tool in Crop Improvement’ in the National Seminar on "Urban Diversity: Documentation and Conservation" on 6th & 7th March, 2018 at Bethune College, Kolkata.
- Participated in a Refresher Course in Biotechnology, Calcutta University from 06.11.17 to 26.11.17.
- Presented poster on 'Cytological investigations on edible accessions of Musa' in the International Conference on 'The green planet: past, present and future', 21st- 23rd December, 2016 at Department of Botany, University of Calcutta.
- Presented poster on "Antidiabetic plants: sustainable use, conservation and future prospects" in UGC sponsored National Seminar- "Medicinal plants, health and environment", 9th-10th September, 2016 in APC College, New Barrackpore
- Participated in the UGC sponsored National
Seminar on "Teaching Botany in 21st century:
prospects and challenges", 6th-7th August, 2016 in
Article in journals
- Comparative kayomorphology of edible Musa cultivars of West Bengal. Ghosh S, Das A, Ghorai A, Jha T.B. (2013), Caryologia 66(3):243-250. IF: 0.632 ISSN 0008-7114 (Print), 2165-5391 (Online)
- Meiotic studies in Musa L. cultivars. Ghosh S, Das A, Ghorai A, Jha T.B. (2011), Chromosome Science 14: 33-38. ISSN: 1344-1051
- Polymorphism in Gloriosa superba. Ghosh S, Biswajit
Ghosh, Sumita Jha (2008), Plant Genetic Resources7(01): 9-15.
IF: 0.728 ISSN: 1479-2621 EISSN: 1479-263X
Ghosh S and Jha T B (2010) Medicinal plant and medicinal plant biotechnology in human welfare. Proceedings of the The All India Seminar on Recent Trends in Utilization of Plants in Human Welfare, Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama, Kolkata; pp 101-108