Dr. Saswati Laha
|Qualification||First class in M.Sc. in Botany, Visva Bharati
Ph.D, Bose Institute (2005)
|Specialization||Cytogenetics, Molecular Biology and Plant Biotechnology|
11 years of teaching experience including 11 years of postgraduate teaching.
- Durgapur Govt. Colleges: 2008 - 2013
- Bethune College: 2013-till date
Interested in Molecular biology of plant stress tolerance. Completed a UGC minor Research project vide Ref. No. PSW-046/ 13-14 (ERO) ID NO. WC2-021 DATED 18th March 2014 Titled: Characterization of Genetic Diversity of selected rice (Oryza sativa L.) landraces of West Bengal in relation to salinity stress tolerance and accumulation of higher polyamines. Supervised PG dissertations in Bethune College.
PG Dissertation area
In vitro regeneration and preliminary phytochemical analysis of Bacopa monnieri, a medicinally priced plant
Comparative study of albumin and globulin protein profiling of six germplasm of Phaseolus vulgaris
Establishment of an efficient shoot regeneration system of Bacopa monnieri.
In silico characterization of Spermidine synthase, an important enzyme in polyamine biosynthesis pathway
Understanding the role of polyamines in plant stress tolerance.
Study on highly valuable medicinal herb - Bacopa monnieri (Linn.) Pennell.
Identification of rice germplasms associated with microsatellite (SSR) markers for salt tolerance.
The study of genetic diversity in selected rice (Oryza sativa L.) genotypes in relation to salinity stress tolerance
Survey of rice landraces with salinity stress specific molecular marker.
A discourse on the 'GMO GUIDELINE PROJECT' and an introduction on the 'GM DEBATE' in India (Review project)
Act as Organizing Secretary in The National Seminar on "Urban Biodiversity: documentation and Conservation" in collaboration with West Bengal Biodiversity Board on 6th & 7th March, 2018, at Department of Botany, Bethune college. Act as coordinator in a Workshop on 'Herbarium Techniques and Plant Nomenclature' from 4th to 5th May 2017 in collaboration with Central National Herbarium, Shibpur, at Bethune College, Kolkata
Paper Presentation/Invited lecture
- Participated in DBT-Sponsored workshop on "Bioinformatics for therapeutic interventions" on 16th Jan, 2020 at PG Dept. of Botany, Lady Brabourne College, Kolkata
- Presented poster(s) entitled ‘Establishment of an efficient shoot regeneration technique of (Bacopa monnieri L.)and ‘Medicinal Plants: Conservation Strategies and Sustainable Use’ on 6th & 7th March, 2018 at Bethune College, Kolkata.
- Participated in a Refresher Course in Biotechnology, Calcutta University from 06.11.17 to 26.11.17.
- Presented poster on "A Study on in-vitro plant regeneration, screening of phytochemicals and stress response of Bacopa monnieri (L.) Pennell, a medicinally priced plant" in National Seminar on "Advances in biology: Exploitation of Phytoresources" 2nd and 3rd November, 2017 in Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Govt. College, New Town, Kolkata
- Presented poster entitled 'Antiviral plants: a promising tool to drug development' in the International seminar on "Recent trends in microbiology", 14th January 2017, at Department of Microbiology, Ramkrishna Mission Vidyamandir.
- Presented poster on "Characterization of plant S-Adenosyl-L-Methionine Decarboxylase and Spermidine Synthase in polyamine deficient mutant strain of E. coli." in the International Conference on "The green planet: past, present and future", 21st- 23rd December, 2016 at Department of Botany, University of Calcutta.
- Presented poster on 'Antidiabetic plants: sustainable use, conservation and future prospects' in UGC sponsored National Seminar- "Medicinal plants, health and environment", 9th-10th September, 2016 in APC College, New Barrackpore.
- Participated in the UGC sponsored National
Seminar on "Teaching Botany in 21st century:
prospects and challenges", 6th-7th August, 2016 in
Article in Journals
- Laha S, Kumar D, Sengupta D N., Gangopadhyay G In silico characterization of SAMdc from Pokkali rice and its overexpression in transgenic tobacco Vegetos(2019)https://doi.org/10.1007/s42535-019-00019-2
- In silico characterization of SAMdC from Pokkali rice and its overexpression in transgenic tobacco. Laha, S., Kumar, D., Sengupta, D.N. et al. Vegetos (2019). https://doi.org/10.1007/s42535-019-00019-2
- Saha A, Chatterjee P, Mukherjee S and Laha S. A study on in -vitro plant regeneration and screening of phytochemicals in Bacopa monnieri (L.)Pennell, a medicinally priced plant. Heritage, Vol.V 183-189 ISSN: 2349-9583, 2018.
- Laha S and Gangopadhyay G.SNP based haplotyping towards development of salt tolerant rice. Heritage, Vol.III 153-158 ISSN: 2349-9583, 2016.
- Laha S , Sen S, Ghosh B and Sengupta D N, Characterization of Plant S-Adenosyl-L-Methionine Decarboxylase and Spermidine Synthase in Polyamine Deficient Mutant Strain of E. Coli International Research Journal of Biological Sciences, Vol. 3(8), 60-68, August (2014).
- Laha S. An Introduction on the GM Debate
in India. Heritage: Vol.I.143-148 ISSN: 2349-9583,
Gene Bank Submission
- Laha. S. et al, (2005) cDNA of S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase from Oryza sativa var. Pokkali Gene bank Accession No. AY966487.
- Laha S. et al, (2006) tSPDScDNA was
isolated from total extracted from young leaves of
Niccotiana tabaccum. Gene bank Accession No.