The Library has a rich collection of about 1,00,000 (one lakh) books and journals. These include some rare and priceless books and journals. About 1100 new books are added every year. There are separate libraries for Science and Humanities to provide better accommodation and convenience. Each department has its own Departmental library too.. Read more...
Since 2005-6, WEBEL Informatics Ltd., under the Department of Information Technology, Govt. of West Bengal in collaboration with Bethune College offers a 2-year on-campus certification course, Diploma in PC Application, at a subsidized rate. It is held during college hours. Assessment of students is done based on a gradation system. The information regarding course structure and gradation system is as follows : View Course Structure
- Staff Members: 03
- No. of Computer Systems installed: 10
- Internet Facility: Systems are connected through LAN and providing Internet connection.
No. of successfully certified
students in last academic session: 105
No. of Enrolled students in current academic session:
- 1st Year- 182
- 2nd Year- 160(Enrolled in
previous session) 26(renewed
WEBEL also offers off-campus certification courses as well to Degree course students. Some of our students had been successfully passed some of the courses offered by them off campus like
- Diploma in Web Scripting
- Diploma in Data Base Programming
These courses are offered in hour-basis by them.
Ethics and Values Education
Bethune College has introduced a Compulsory Certificate Course in Ethics and Value Education for the First year students of both Humanities and Science streams. The objective of the Ethics and Value Education Course is to create awareness, conviction and commitment of the students to social and moral values for improving the quality of life through education. The course begins with an Orientation lecture delivered by in-house faculty which is followed by lectures delivered by eminent personalities from various fields who are invited to present papers and interact with the students.
These lectures highlight human values and qualities necessary in a balanced and responsible individual. All students of first year attend these lectures. They are awarded a certificate on completion of the course
In the year 2014-15 and 2015-16, four lectures were organized. Dr. Sudeshna Mitra, Assistant Professor, Department of Philosophy spoke on 'Psychological Perspective of Ethics.' Nirmalya Narayan Chakraborty , Associate Professor , Department of Philosophy , Rabindra Bharati University delivered a lecture titled 'Why be Moral?' Smt Moumita Dutta , Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science spoke on 'Ethics.' Professor Dipak Ghosh, Former Professor, Department of Physics, Jadavpur University, delivered his lecture on 'Ethics and Value: Neuro Cognitive Perspective.'
Besides Lectures, Workshops have also been arranged in the session 2014-15. Two 3-day Workshops have been organized. The first workshop was for UG Arts Students (21- 23 April, 2014) and the second one for UG Science Students (28 - 30 April , 2014) . The course was directed by Dr. S.K. Chakraborty , Mentor as well as Emeritus Professor of Rabindranath Tagore Centre for Human Values. The workshop was conducted by Prof. Bidyut Kumar Sarkar and Prof. Mrs. Anupurba Banerjee under Rabindranath Tagore Centre for Human Values .
Awards and Prizes
The following medals are awarded to students :
- Rupa Chakravarty Memorial Silver Medal : (initiated in 1997) awarded to a distinguished ex-Bethunite.
- Ganesh Chandra Das and Pratima Das Memorial Medal : (initiated in 1983) for standing first among the B.Sc. Honours Graduates of Bethune College.
- Gwalior Medal: A medal is awarded to the student who stands first in the Higher Secondary Examination from Bethune School.
- lIa Chatterjee-Bibhuti Bhusan Chatterjee Memorial Silver Medal : (initiated in 2006) awarded for highest proficiency in Psychology Honours in B.A. / B.Sc. Part II Examination from Bethune College.
- Juthika Ghosh Memorial Gold Medal : (initiated in 2001) For highest proficiency and securing first class in B.A. Sanskrit Honours from Bethune College.
- Nalini Das Memorial Silver Medal : (initiated in 1998) Awarded to the most promising student of Bethune College.
- P. C. Chandra Award of Excellence : Instituted in 2000-01. A silver plaque is awarded by P. C. Chandra and Jewellers to a student for overall excellence.
- Papiya Datta Roy Memorial Gold Medal : (initiated in 2001) Awarded for securing highest marks in B. A. Political Science honours from Bethune College .
- Papri Bhadra Memorial Excellence Gold and Silver Medal (initiated in 2013): Awarded for highest Proficiency in Philosophy Honours, Part I, II & III.
- Puspa Das & Dipali Das Memorial Silver Medal : (initiated in 1994) Awarded for securing highest marks in Chemistry Honours Practical in the B.Sc. Examination from Bethune College.
- Radharani Bhattacharya Memorial Silver Medal : (initiated in 1994). Awarded for highest proficiency in Chemistry Honours in the B.Sc. Examination from Bethune College.
- Radharani Bose Memorial Medal : (initiated in 1994) Awarded for best talent in classical music.
- Radharani Dutta Memorial Silver Medal : (initiated in 2010) Awarded to the student who stands First class Second in Mathematics in the M.Sc. Examination from Bethune College
- Rina Ghosh & Shyamal Ch. Ghosh Memorial Silver Medal :(initiated in 2007) Awarded to the best all-rounder of Dept. of English, Bethune College.
- S.N. Pal Memorial Medal : (initiated in 2010) Awarded to the students for securing First Class in Zoology in the M.Sc. Examination from Bethune College.
- Santilata Basu Ray Memorial Gold Medal : Awarded to student who stands first in Mathematics honours in the B.Sc. Exam. from Bethune College.
- Santosh Kumar Dutta Memorial Gold Medal : (initiated in 2010) Awarded to the student who stands First class First in Mathematics in the M.Sc. Examination from Bethune College.
- Santosh Memorial Medal : (initiated in 1966) It is awarded to the student who secures the highest marks in Chemistry honours in the B. Sc. Examination from Bethune College.
- Srabanti Banerjee Memorial Silver Medal : (initiated in 2001) Awarded for securing highest marks in B.A. Political Science honours from Bethune College.
- Sumita Mitra (Basu) Memorial Silver Medal : (initiated in 2006) awarded for excellence in dance.
- Sunanda Dutta Smriti Swarna Padak : (initiated in 1998) Awarded to the student securing highest marks among all Arts Honours Graduates from Bethune College.
- Sushama Basu Memorial Gold Medal : (initiated in 2001) Awarded to the student securing highest marks among all Science Graduates from Bethune College.
- Tatini Das Memorial Medal : Awarded to the student who stands first in the Philosophy Honours in the B. A. Examination from Bethune College.
Some of the Memorial Prizes offered by the college are:
- Abha Bose Memorial Prize : ( in 2004) Awarded for highest proficiency in Mathemati c s Honour s in the B.Sc . Examination from Bethune College.
- Aditi Nag Choudhury Memorial Prize : Awarded for highest proficiency in History Honours in the B.A. Examination from Bethune College.
- Ajoy Kumar Bardhan Memorial Prize : (initiated in 2004) Awarded for highest proficiency in Psychology Honours in the B.A./B.Sc. Examination from Bethune College.
- Anjali Mukherjee Memorial Prize : Awarded to the student who stands first among B.A. and B.Sc. Honours Graduates of Bethune College.
- Aruna Mukherjee Memorial Prize : (initiated in 1988) Awarded to the students for securing highest marks in Arts and Science in the B.A. / B.Sc. Part-I Examination from Bethune College
There are several other Memorial Prizes and Awards for the students for their encouragement and appreciation.
From the State Government
The Government has introduced the Kanyashree scheme for improving the status and well-being of the girl child and under this scheme female students are awarded scholarships. The College encourages the students to apply for the scholarship. In the session 2014-15, 37 students of the college were sanctioned a grant under the Kanyashree scheme.
The holders of National Scholarship are entitled to free studentship depending on their family income in addition to the actual scholarship from the State Government.
The Directorate of Public Instruction,
West Bengal, awards free studentships to
needy and deserving candidates on the
recommendation of the Principal.
There is a Student's Aid Sub-committee of the Teacher's Council, which selects the candidates on the basis of applications invited from them. The criteria for selection are the family income and the academic performance of the student.
The State Govt awards post-Matric scholarships to SC/ST students.
There are some non-government organizations like Jindal Trust, Aamra etc, which grant scholarship to the students of this college.
From Bethune College
The College itself has a Students' Aid Fund. Various types of financial assistance are extended to the students from this fund, mainly in the form of book grant, help in payment of fees for Part I and Part II examinations and excursion fees. Aid for medical purposes is provided in some instances.
Besides this, there are several Endowment Funds created by the well-wishers of the College. The Income generated from these Endowment Funds is utilized each year for giving stipends to the selected students. The following stipends are awarded by the College on merit cum means basis:
- Ramjitendra Ghosh Memorial Stipend for a needy student of 1st year B.A class.
- Bimalacharan Law Stipend.
- D.N. Ray Memorial Stipend.
- Eva Mitra Memorial Scholarship (inaugurated in 2004) awarded to a student of Botany Honours or a student of any of the Science departments.
- Juthika Ghosh Memorial stipend awarded to needy students of Sanskrit Honours.
- Mrinalini Emmerson Memorial Prize
- Chameli Basu Memorial prize
- Aruna Mukhopadhyay memorial prize - given to an alumna for Social service
Career Counselling Cell
Bethune College helps its students to step up steadily in their future career and life as well. In this regard, a team of Career Counselling Cell is proactive enough to explore diverse fields of employment for graduate and post graduate students through meets with various companies and placing them according to their interests.
The Career Counselling Cell conducts support programmes that enhance their chances to select future course of study as well as placement. The Cell holds regular workshops for the final year students to zero in on their skills and aptitudes, strengths and weaknesses network with the industry leaders/institutes of higher studies to provide them with the opportunity to find a suitable placement/future career.
The Cell has been successful in bringing the best of companies, like WIPRO, TCS, GENPACT etc., to name a few, to the campus head hunting so far and is working relentlessly to enhance connections with various other renowned organisations/industry leaders/institutes so that it can provide the best of the opportunities to its students for their future.
Regarding any more information required, please contact: Tel: (033) 2241-1731, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Recent Activities of the Career
In the academic session 2016-17,
- Ten (10) students of the UG outgoing batch got selected (on-campus selection drive) by TCS,
- Six (06) were selected (off-campus selection drive) by WIPRO and
- Two (02) were selected (on-campus selection drive) by COGNIZANT.
- The cell also organized two (02) pre-campus selection seminars during this period: one by ICICI Bank and YES Bank in February 2016 for the 2015-16 outgoing batch, and another by TATA Consultancy Services in January 2017 for the 2016-17 outgoing batch.
- The cell, like every year, organized two (02) workshops on communicative English for the outgoing batch of the current academic session, conducted by Prof. Piyali Gupta and Prof. Nilanjana Basu of the Post Graduate Department of English, Bethune College.
- The cell also organized
three (03) career counselling
Seminars/workshops during this
- One seminar on How to prepare yourself for an interview in February 2016, the speakers of which were Dr. Bibhas Chowdhury, Director, Eastern Zone, National Sample Survey Organisation & Mr. Sandip Kar, Regional Head, YES Bank, Kolkata.
- The second was on
The Scopes and Prospects
after Graduation in
January 2017, by GLOBSYN
Business School and Career
Launcher Educate Limited. It
had three separate sessions
on Higher Studies, Corporate
Jobs and Competitive
Examinations for Government
Psychological Counselling Cell
The Psychological Counselling Cell is run by the teachers who have been professionally trained to provide such service. The Cell has been functioning approximately for the last 10 years. This cell provides support to the students and staffs of the College and approximately 15 individuals are benefitted from this service every year. Occasionally, if required, group counselling sessions have also been conducted by the teachers of the department. The Psychological Counselling Cell maintains confidentiality to respect the dignity of the client.
The College has an Anti-ragging Cell
headed by the Principal. This has been
constituted as per the existing UGC
norms. At the beginning of every
academic year both the freshers and the
senior students of the College are made
aware of the ragging related rules and
regulations by the Principal herself.
The Cell, in its turn, directs the
respective departments and the Students'
Union to keep close watch on the
students and to report immediately the
untoward incident, if any, for
appropriate action. Bethune College
being a heritage college has a very good
ambiance maintained by both the staff as
well as the students. Perhaps, this
prevalent culture is one of the reasons
why hardly any incident of ragging has
been reported till date.
Download Anti-ragging Form
The College has a Grievance Redressal Cell. It collects applications on issues, if any, and addresses those grievances as best as it can. As a follow up step, the Cell meets the complainant students in presence of the Principal and takes necessary action. The Cell is headed by the Principal and consists of senior teachers from both Humanities and Science departments. There is a dropbox just outside the Principal's Office where students can insert their grievances anonymously.
Internal Complaints Committee (ICC)
Internal Complaints Committee (ICC) of Bethune College in accordance with UGC Notification (Prevention, prohibition and redressal of sexual harassment of women employees and students in higher educational institutions Regulations, 2015).
- Prof. Anasuya Guha, HOD, English Department : Presiding Officer
- Prof. Pratap Chandra Ray, HOD, Mathematics Department : Faculty Member
- Dr. Suranjana Dasgupta, HOD, Economics Department : Faculty Member
- Sm. Sormistha Biswas, Joint Secretary, Women's Coordination Council: Member from NGO.
- Sm. Saraswati Ghosh, Head Clerk,Office : Non teaching staff Member
- Sri Sanjib Dhar, UDC,Office : Non teaching staff Member
- Sm. Mitashree Pal, 1st yr English Hons : Elected student Member
- Sm. Ananya Sen,1st yr Economics Hons : Elected student Member
- Sm. Poulomi Sengupta, 1st yr Economics Hons : Elected student Member
Bethune College has a formal Student's Union Council which forms their body through an election. Prior to the holding of election, all formalities related to this are maintained.
Student's Union takes part in all academic, administrative and other activities of the College. There are student representatives in administrative bodies like the Governing Body, IQAC, Backward Class Cell, Anti-Ragging Cell among others.
The Students' Union actively participates in the programmes organised by the College like Annual Prize Distribution ceremony, Annual Sports, Annual Intra-college Competition, Programmes on Independence Day, Republic Day etc., whereby continuously maintaining an effective liaison between the teachers and the students. Student's Union also organises programmes like, the Annual College Fest, Fresher's Welcome for the First Year students, Farewell for the Third Year students etc. Bethune College is proud of the nature and quality of its Student's Union. The Union is absolutely apolitical which may be distinguished as the rarest of the rare in the State.
The members of the Students' Union for the session 2016-17 are as follows:
|Name of the post||Name of the Candidate||Department|
|General Secretary||Rishita Sengupta||Bengali|
|Cultural Secretary||Panchali Adhikary||Psychology|
|Drama Secretary||Samadrita Dey||Economics|
|Sports Secretary||Aparna Sharma||Psychology|
|Magazine Secretary||Patrali Pradhan||English|
|Class Representative (2nd year B.A)||Anangsha Ghosh Dastidar||English|
|Class Representative (2nd year B.Sc.)||Puja Roy||Economics|
|Assistant General Secretary (Arts)||Trisrota Datta||English|
|Assistant General Secretary (Science)||Meghna Nirmal||Economics|
|Assistant Cultural Secretary||Anannya Sen||Economics|
|Assistant Magazine Secretary||Trisha Karmakar||Psychology|
|Assistant Drama Secretary||Mitashree Paul||English|
|Assistant Sports Secretary||Sneha Biswas||English|
|Class Representative (1st Year B.A)||Shalinee Das||English|
|Class Representative (1st year B.Sc.)||Poulami Sengupta||Economics|
There is a single storied structure near the main gate where the students and staff of the college can buy food at a subsidized rate .It is run by an organization that functions during the working hours of the College. The College authority provides furniture, refrigerator, gas, purified water & electric supply to the organization. The seating capacity of the canteen is forty. A variety of snacks including meals during lunch hours is available for students and staff.