The Library has developed together with the college as an indispensable part of the entire college. The location of the Library has been changed a number of times. Initially the college library was situated in the Bethune School Hall.
In 1940 Bethune College was shifted to the Christ Church Building now named ‘Vidyasagar Bhavan’ and the library was shifted to the first floor of the building. With the increase in the number of students, honours subjects, library grants and simultaneous increase of books, the necessity of a separate library building was strongly felt. In 1983, the library was bifurcated into the Arts Library and the Science Library and the two wings were shifted to two separate buildings - Mrs. Mrinalini Emerson’s (ex-Principal’s) quarter became the science library and the second floor of the centenary building now named ‘Kadambini Bhavan’ became the Arts Library.
Built-up area of the library
An area of 279.97 sq. ft comprises the lending section, processing section , journal section, reference section etc. The library can boast of several journals, and certain general and essential reference books for easy access. An area of 1543.05 sq. ft. is allocated for book stacks and 383.73 sq. ft serves the purpose of a reading room.
The total area is about 4000 sq. ft. comprising a reading room with book stacks containing course books, reference books, rare books and old journals , a lending section and a processing section.
Number of staff working in the library is eight.
(one for Arts and one for Science Library)
||Six (three for Science and three for Arts Library)
||10-30 a.m. – 4-30 p.m. (week days)
10-30 a.m. – 2 p.m. (Saturdays)
||10-30 a.m. – 4-15 p.m. (week days)
10-30 a.m. – 3-15 p.m. (Saturdays)
||During the summer and the autumn vacation the library remains open from 12 noon to 4
(Monday to Friday)
THE SEMINAR LIBRARIES
In addition to the General Library, every department
(except Computer Science & Statistics & Hindi) has a seminar
library. The seminar library has been built up with the aim of providing
easy access of students to books. It contains texts and reference books
which are often needed by the students and they can borrow these books
with permission from the departmental teacher. The functioning of the
seminar library is determined by the
Both the Science and the Arts Libraries are fully computerized.
We have multi-user library software under client server connected
by LAN to various departments.
The widely used Linux-based Library software LibSys ( College
Version ) has also been installed . Since all the departments
of the college are connected through LAN, On-line Public Access
Control ( OPAC ) is available to all departments.
The main features of this software are :
- Powerful catalogue search facility based on author / title /
keyword / subject
- Password authenticated multiple users
- Issue and Return facilities
- Status enquiries on both users and books
- Stock verification
- Purchase of books
- Reservation facilities
- ( Proposed ) Web access of the library database through
internet by the users .
There are Microfilms of old and rare books and maps in the
The Arts Library has an open rack system, encouraging students to
enrich themselves freely.
Both the Science and the Arts Libraries are regularly updated
books and journals to meet the requirement of the students and
Replicas of famous Indian sculptures and archaeological remains
excavated from college premises are kept in a separate almirah in
the Arts Library.